找回密碼
 申請討論區帳戶
查看: 4825|回復: 7

My latest image

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2008-3-8 22:24:53 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
Hi,

The night on March 3rd was clear but transparency really very poor. The polaris was just barely seen with my aged eyes.

So as to see how my modded 350D would perform with a 6" F5 Newtonian, I decided to go out to have a try though the sky was not so promising.

This shot is a result of 11x60s, manually guided. Stacking in DSS and post-processing in PS. No flat field applied. That is my best effort on doing it. It should still have some improvement required but I have been happy with it.

Any comments?

Clear skies,

LT

P.S. The 2nd one is the original stacked image. Would you like to have a try on processing it?
m42_6F5_03Mar08_11x60s_ps4.jpg
m42_6F5_03Mar08_11x60s.jpg
 樓主| 發表於 2008-3-8 22:32:03 | 顯示全部樓層
Forgot to mention. This image was taken at the carpark of Tai Mo Shan Visitor Center.

LT
發表於 2008-3-9 06:31:12 | 顯示全部樓層
Good try LT and the detail of outer part of the M42 is very well shown~~

2 suggestions for you:

- You ca captured another 10 sets of 10 sec exposures so that you can maintain the details of central core by using layer mask with unsharp masking.

- Do the flat field so that the dark corner can be further improved.

Cheers,

Eric
發表於 2008-3-11 14:06:54 | 顯示全部樓層
If the file in raw, then is possible to maintain the central core detail without take another set of exposure. Considered the optics is only f/5.
發表於 2008-3-11 19:12:57 | 顯示全部樓層
I try to process it and end up like below.....

Think because the file I try is compressed too much, many thing cannot adjust out.
m42LT.jpg
m42LT2.jpg
發表於 2008-3-12 10:30:42 | 顯示全部樓層
原帖由 universe24 於 2008-3-11 14:06 發表
If the file in raw, then is possible to maintain the central core detail without take another set of exposure. Considered the optics is only f/5.

The core is overexposed in this case and no detail can be extracted.  Even if the file is raw (12 or 14 bits), it do not have the dynamic range to record the much much brighter core and the outer dim details at the same time.  The only way is to expose the core with shorter exposure to make sure that it is not saturated and then combine the short exposure (for core detail) and long exposure (for outer region) shoots.
 樓主| 發表於 2008-3-12 18:02:00 | 顯示全部樓層

回復 3# 的帖子

Thanks Eric for your opinion.

I don't mind the core is overexposed when processing the faint details out. For me, I would regard that is natural for the distribution of brightness across the object. The bright part should be bright in the final image. I don't want to change its original distribution of brightness because I took wide field and deep sky photos not for scientific purpose. That is only my personal preference, and you may not agree with my philosophy.

Actually I was trying flat calibration these days but  coming out with much noise issue after the processing. Some of my resultants had been posted in another forum to seek for solution and help.

If you have seen them, could you suggest any possible solution?

After experimenting the flat calibration a few times more, I will post here for discussion.

Clear skies,

LT
 樓主| 發表於 2008-3-12 18:06:23 | 顯示全部樓層
Hi Universe 24,

Thanks for your trial.

For the core, it has been overexposed. No detail can be retrieved no matter it is in any file format I think.

LT
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請討論區帳戶

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|香港天文學會

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 08:28 , Processed in 0.015650 second(s), 22 queries .