申請討論區帳戶
查看: 2807|回復: 0

A well-said in AAVSO Forum

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2011-12-3 23:22:12 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
A well-said in AAVSO Forum.

Quoted……

Subject:  A S&T News Brief Discussion

“I woke up early this morning and found multiple posts in the thread on the value of visual oservations of variable stars.  I have not seen this much passion in a while.  Here are my thoughts on the debate:

1.    Variable star astronomy has changed significantly over the past few decades.  This is mainly due to the availability and affordability of scientific quality CCD cameras for amateur astronomers. That's fantastic! But it doesn't mean that visual observations are not needed anymore.  It's not an either or argument.

2.    I understand the anger against the S&T news brief.  I think the biggest damage is not discouraging long time visual VSOers.  I think those observers are die hard and will continue doing what they are doing.  The major damage comes from new VSOers who would have been attracted to VSO who may feel that there is no point since there is no need for their observations.  I think a letter to the editor of S&T from Arne or Mario to correct this misconception would go farther than bombarding S&T with letters
from AAVSO members.

3.    The bottom line is:  We are amateurs!  This statement isn't meant to be derogatory.  We are doing this for the love of observing.  If only one person finds your data useful now or 20 years from now that's great.  But the reason you are doing this is for your enjoyment.  So if visually observing a particular star is what you enjoy doing, then keep on observing it if it brings you joy.  If you only want to do visual VSO if it will only contribute to furthering the scientific understanding of that star, then there are several stars that can be observed to suit your needs.  My philosophy when I am observing a star that is not on the radar screen of any professional astronomer is this:  If this star just happened to do something unexpected, I might be the only person in the world who saw it.  The bottom line is:  Life is short.  Just do what you enjoy!

Barbara G. Harris, MD, MBA”
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請討論區帳戶

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|香港天文學會

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 10:44 , Processed in 0.016287 second(s), 19 queries .