找回密碼
 申請討論區帳戶
查看: 4826|回復: 3

Myth Verse fact

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2008-4-18 04:30:02 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
Once again, it makes you wonder about the quality of HK's reporters!

Myth:
Asteroid_news_080417[1].JPG

Fact:

RELEASE : 08-103  NASA Statement on Student Asteroid Calculations   WASHINGTON -- The Near-Earth Object Program Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., has not changed its current estimates for the very low probability (1 in 45,000) of an Earth impact by the asteroid Apophis in 2036.

Contrary to recent press reports, NASA offices involved in near-Earth object research were not contacted and have had no correspondence with a young German student, who claims the Apophis impact probability is far higher than the current estimate.

This student's conclusion reportedly is based on the possibility of a collision with an artificial satellite during the asteroid's close approach in April 2029. However, the asteroid will not pass near the main belt of geosynchronous satellites in 2029, and the chance of a collision with a satellite is exceedingly remote.

Therefore, consideration of this satellite collision scenario does not affect the current impact probability estimate for Apophis, which remains at 1 in 45,000.

For those who are more technical inclined:
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/apophis/

[ 本帖最後由 BillYeung 於 2008-4-18 04:41 編輯 ]
發表於 2008-4-18 09:34:06 | 顯示全部樓層
It's more like the quality of the readers (society, culture), too.  Readers are attracted by this kind of 娛樂新聞...
發表於 2008-4-18 09:54:46 | 顯示全部樓層

I read that too

So the MingPao news is made-up or from bad source ?

PS. The two inset picture by artist are too old (15 ~ 20 year) for use, I guess.

[ 本帖最後由 David^_^b 於 2008-4-18 09:55 編輯 ]
發表於 2008-4-18 10:40:00 | 顯示全部樓層
I would not blame MingPao for the report.  Obviously, they are just interpeting from an article issued by a foreign news agency.

It is the common practice of Hong Kong newspapers and even the electronic media to hire reporters and writers with only journalism or literature background.  They seldom care to hire someone with science training to deal with science and technology issues.  The only exception may be one or two writer/reporter in one of the popular "computer" magazine.  I can't remember whether it is "Hi-Tech" or E-Zone".

YCH
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請討論區帳戶

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|香港天文學會

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 13:19 , Processed in 0.012336 second(s), 19 queries .