找回密碼
 申請討論區帳戶
查看: 16319|回復: 10

蘋果創辦人Steve Jobs:我生命中的三個故事 

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2008-5-21 06:48:45 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
A story that almost made me cry.

It is hard to "Stay Hungry", but "Stay Foolish"? That is what I always try to do.

Bill

----------------------------------------------------------------

蘋果創辦人Steve Jobs:我生命中的三個故事 杜然翻譯

(蘋果電腦的CEO斯蒂夫.喬布斯在2005年6月12日斯坦福大學畢業典禮上的演講,讀後令人不禁動容,其文並無華麗之色,也無英文演講範例中慣用的排比。標題爲譯者所加,刊登時有刪節)。

(斯坦福)是世界上最好的大學之一,今天能參加各位的畢業典禮,我深感榮幸。(尖聲)我從來沒有從大學畢業,說句實話,此時算是我離大學畢業最近的一刻。(笑聲)今天,我想告訴你們我生命中的三個故事,並非什麽了不得的大事件,只是三個小故事而已。

第一個故事,是關於 [串起生命中的點點滴滴]。

(原文爲"connecting the dots"指一種小遊戲:把標有序列號的點連起來,就構成一幅圖畫)

我在里德大學呆了6個月就退學了,但之後仍作爲旁聽生混了18個月後才最終離開。我爲什麽要退學呢?

故事要從我出生之前開始說起。我的生母是一名年輕的未婚媽媽,當時她還是一所大學的在讀研究生,於是決定把我送給其他人收養。她堅持我應該被一對念過大學的夫婦收養,所以在我出生的時候,她已經爲我被一個律師和他的太太收養做好了所有的準備。但在最後一刻,這對夫婦改了主意,決定收養一個女孩。候選名單上的另外一對夫婦,也就是我的養父母,在一天午夜接到了一通電話:"有一個不請自來的男嬰,你們想收養嗎?" 他們回答:"當然想。" 事後,我的生母才發現我的養母根本就沒有從大學畢業,而我的養父甚至連高中都沒有畢業,所以她拒絕簽署最後的收養文件,直到幾個月後,我的養父母保證會把我送到大學,她的態度才有所轉變。

17年之後,我真上了大學。但因爲年幼無知,我選擇了一所和斯坦福一樣昂貴的大學,(笑聲)我的父母都是工人階級,他們傾其所有資助我的學業。在 6 個月之後,我發現自己完全不知道這樣念下去究竟有什麽用。當時,我的人生漫無目標,也不知道大學對我能起到什麽幫助,爲了念書,還花光了父母畢生的積蓄,所以我決定退學。我相信車到山前必有路。當時作這個決定的時候非常害怕,但現在回頭去看,這是我這一生所作出的最正確的決定之一。(笑聲) 從我退學那一刻起,我就再也不用去上那些我毫無興趣的必修課了,我開始旁聽那些看來比較有意思的科目。

這件事情做起來一點都不浪漫。因爲沒有自己的宿舍,我只能睡在朋友房間的地板上;可樂瓶的押金是5分錢,我把瓶子還回去好用押金買吃的;在每個周日的晚上,我都會步行7英里穿越市區,到Hare Krishna教堂吃一頓大餐,我喜歡那兒的食物。我跟隨好奇心和直覺所做的事情,事後證明大多數都是極其珍貴的經驗。

我舉一個例子:那個時候,里德大學提供了全美國最好的書法教育。整個校園的每一張海報,每一個抽屜上的標簽,都是漂亮的手寫體。由於已經退學,不用再去上那些常規的課程,於是我選擇了一個書法班,想學學怎麽寫出一手漂亮字。在這個班上,我學習了各種襯線和無襯線字體,如何改變不同字體組合之間的字間距,以及如何做出漂亮的版式。那是一種科學永遠無法捕捉的充滿美感、歷史感和藝術感的微妙,我發現這太有意思了。

當時,我壓根兒沒想到這些知識會在我的生命中有什麽實際運用價值;但是10年之後,當我們設計第一款Macintosh電腦的時候,這些東西全派上了用場。我把它們全部設計進了 Mac,這是第一台可以排出好看版式的電腦。如果當時我大學裏沒有旁聽這門課程的話,Mac 就不會提供各種字體和等間距字體。自從視窗系統抄襲了Mac 以後,(鼓掌大笑)所有的個人電腦都有了這些東西。如果我沒有退學,我就不會去書法班旁聽,而今天的個人電腦大概也就不會有出色的版式功能。當然我在念大學的那會兒,不可能有先見之明,把那些生命中的點點滴滴都串起來;但10年之後再回頭看,生命的軌迹變得非常清楚。

再強調一次,你不可能充滿預見地將生命的點滴串聯起來;只有在你回頭看的時候,你才會發現這些點點滴滴之間的聯繫。所以,你要堅信,你現在所經歷的將在你未來的生命中串聯起來。你不得不相信某些東西,你的直覺,命運,生活,因緣際會?正是這種信仰讓我不會失去希望,它讓我的人生變得與衆不同。

我的第二個故事是關於 [愛與失去]。

我是幸運的,在年輕的時候就知道了自己愛做什麽。在我20歲的時候,就和沃茲在我父母的車庫裏開創了蘋果電腦公司。我們勤奮工作,只用了10年的時間,蘋果電腦就從車庫裏的兩個小伙子擴展成擁有4000名員工,價值達到20億美元的企業。而在此之前的一年,我們剛推出了我們最好的産品Macintosh電腦,當時我剛過而立之年。然後,我就被炒了魷魚。一個人怎麽可以被他所創立的公司解雇呢?(笑聲)這麽說吧,隨著蘋果的成長,我們請了一個原本以爲很能幹的傢伙和我一起管理這家公司,在頭一年左右,他幹得還不錯,但後來,我們對公司未來的前景出現了分歧,於是我們之間出現了矛盾。由於公司的董事會站在他那一邊,所以在我30歲的時候,就被踢出了局。我失去了一直貫穿在我整個成年生活的重心,打擊是毀滅性的。

在頭幾個月,我真不知道要做些什麽。我覺得我讓企業界的前輩們失望了,我失去了傳到我手上的指揮棒。我遇到了戴維.帕卡德(普惠的創辦人之一?譯注)和鮑勃.諾伊斯(英代爾的創辦人之一?譯注),我向他們道歉,因爲我把事情搞砸了。我成了人人皆知的失敗者,我甚至想過逃離矽谷。但曙光漸漸出現,我還是喜歡我做過的事情。在蘋果電腦發生的一切絲毫沒有改變我,一個比特(bit)都沒有。雖然被抛棄了,但我的熱忱不改。我決定重新開始。

我當時沒有看出來,但事實證明,我被蘋果開除掉是我這一生所經歷過的最棒的事情。成功的沉重被鳳凰涅槃的輕盈所代替,每件事情都不再那麽確定,我以自由之軀進入了我整個生命當中最有創意的時期。

在接下來的5年裏,我開創了一家叫做 NeXT 的公司,接著是一家名叫 Pixar 的公司,並且認識了後來成爲我妻子的曼妙女郎。Pixar製作了世界上第一部全電腦動畫電影《玩具總動員》,現在這家公司是世界上最成功的動畫製作公司之一。(掌聲)後來經歷一系列的事件,蘋果買下了 NeXT,於是我又回到了蘋果,我們在NeXT 研發出的技術在推動蘋果復興的核心動力。我和勞倫斯也擁有了美滿的家庭。

我非常肯定,如果沒有被蘋果炒掉,這一切都不可能在我身上發生。對於病人來說,良藥總是苦口。生活有時候就像一塊板磚拍向你的腦袋,但不要喪失信心。熱愛我所從事的工作,是一直支援我不斷前進的惟一理由。你得找出你的最愛,對工作如此,對愛人亦是如此。工作將佔據你生命中相當大的一部分,從事你認爲具有非凡意義的工作,方能給你帶來真正的滿足感。而從事一份偉大工作的惟一方法,就是去熱愛這份工作。如果你到現在還沒有找到這樣一份工作,那麽就繼續找。不要安於現狀,當萬事了然於心的時候,你就會知道何時能找到。如同任何偉大的浪漫關係一樣,偉大的工作只會在歲月的醞釀中越陳越香。所以,在你終有所獲之前,不要停下你尋覓的腳步。不要停下。

[ 本帖最後由 BillYeung 於 2008-5-21 07:06 編輯 ]
 樓主| 發表於 2008-5-21 06:49:25 | 顯示全部樓層
Part 2:

我的第三個故事是關於 [死亡]。

在17歲的時候,我讀過一句格言,好像是:"如果你把每一天都當成你生命裏的最後一天,你將在某一天發現原來一切皆在掌握之中。" (笑聲) 這句話從我讀到之日起,就對我産生了深遠的影響。在過去的33年裏,我每天早晨都對著鏡子問自己:"如果今天是我生命中的末日,我還願意做我今天本來應該做的事情嗎?當一連好多天答案都否定的時候,我就知道做出改變的時候到了。"

提醒自己:行將入土是我在面臨人生中的重大抉擇時,最爲重要的工具。

因爲所有的事情?外界的期望、所有的尊榮、對尷尬和失敗的懼怕?在面對死亡的時候,都將煙消雲散,只留下真正重要的東西。在我所知道的各種方法中,提醒自己即將死去是避免掉入畏懼失去這個陷阱的最好辦法。人赤條條地來,赤條條地走,沒有理由不聽從你內心的呼喚。

大約一年前,我被診斷出癌症。在早晨7:30我做了一個檢查,掃描結果清楚地顯示我的胰臟出現了一個腫瘤。我當時甚至不知道胰臟究竟是什麽。醫生告訴我,幾乎可以確定這是一種不治之症,頂多還能活3至6個月。大夫建議我回家,把諸事安排妥當,這是醫生對臨終病人的標準用語。這意味著你得把你今後10年要對你的子女說的話用幾個月的時間說完;這意味著你得把一切都安排妥當,盡可能減少你的家人在你身後的負擔;這意味著向衆人告別的時間到了。

我整天都想著診斷結果。那天晚上做了一個切片檢查,醫生把一個內診鏡從我的喉管伸進去,穿過我的胃進入腸道,將探針伸進胰臟,從腫瘤上取出了幾個細胞。我打了鎮靜劑,但我的太太當時在場,她後來告訴我說,當大夫們從顯微鏡下觀察了細胞組織之後,都哭了起來,因爲那是一非常罕見的,可以通過手術治療的胰臟癌。我接受了手術,現在已經康復了。

這是我最接近死亡的一次,我希望在隨後的幾十年裏,都不要有比這一次更接近死亡的經歷。在經歷了這次與死神擦肩而過的經驗之後,死亡對我來說只是一項有效的判斷工具,並且只是一個純粹的理性概念時相比,我能夠更肯定地告訴你們以下事實:沒人想死;即使想去天堂的人,也是希望能活著進去。(笑聲) 死亡是我們每個人的人生終點站,沒人能夠成爲例外。生命就是如此,因爲死亡很可能是生命最好的造物,它是生命更叠的媒介,送走耋耄老者,給新生代讓路。現在你們還是新生代,但不久的將來你們也將逐漸老去,被送出人生的舞臺。很抱歉說得這麽富有戲劇性,但生命就是如此。    你們的時間有限,所以不要把時間浪費在別人的生活裏。不要被條條框框束縛,否則你就生活在他人思考的結果裏。不要讓他人的觀點所發出的噪音淹沒你內心的聲音。最爲重要的是,要有遵從你的內心和直覺的勇氣,它們可能已知道你其實想成爲一個什麽樣的人。其他事物都是次要的。

在我年輕的時候,有一本非常棒的雜誌叫《全球目錄》(The Whole Earth Catalog),它被我們那一代人奉爲圭臬。這本雜誌的創辦人是一個叫斯圖爾特.布蘭德的傢伙,他住在Menlo Park,距離這兒不遠。他把這本雜誌辦得充滿詩意。那是在60年代末期,個人電腦、桌面發排系統還沒有出現,所以出版工具只有打字機、剪刀和寶麗來相機。這本雜誌有點像印在紙上的Google,但那是在Google出現的35年前;它充滿了理想色彩,內容都是些非常好用的工具和了不起的見解。

斯圖爾特和他的團隊做了幾期《全球目錄》,快無疾而終的時候,他們出版了最後一期。那是在70年代中期,我當時處在你們現在的年齡。在最後一期的封底有一張清晨鄉間公路的照片,如果你喜歡搭車冒險旅行的話,經常會碰到的那種小路。在照片下面有一排字:物有所不足,智有所不明(Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.)這是他們停刊的告別留言。物有所不足,智有所不明。我總是以此自詡。現在,在你們畢業開始新生活的時候,我把這句話送給你們。
發表於 2008-5-21 09:16:43 | 顯示全部樓層
感謝你的分享。
發表於 2008-5-21 09:37:08 | 顯示全部樓層
"生命就是如此,因爲死亡很可能是生命最好的造物,它是生命更叠的媒介,送走耋耄老者,給新生代讓路。現在你們還是新生代,但不久的將來你們也將逐漸老去,被送出人生的舞臺。"

死亡並不是老人的專利, 就是新生代也沒有例外

失敗, 災難 或是 疾病, 往往都是硬生生的來...
發表於 2008-5-21 12:39:42 | 顯示全部樓層
中國人的智慧:「塞翁失馬,焉知非福」。

現代人稍受挫折就睇吾開,甚至自殺,如果想想這句成語,往往絕處重生,面對人生旅程,包括生老病死,也會看開些。

地震過後,必定劫後重生,宇宙萬物都是這樣循環不息。

AC
發表於 2008-5-22 04:02:31 | 顯示全部樓層
感謝你的分享!
發表於 2008-5-23 02:17:09 | 顯示全部樓層
(the 1st and 2nd stories)

I am honored to be with you today at your commencement from one of the finest universities in the world. I never graduated from college. Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever gotten to a college graduation. Today I want to tell you three stories from my life. That's it. No big deal. Just three stories.

The first story is about connecting the dots.

I dropped out of Reed College after the first 6 months, but then stayed around as a drop-in for another 18 months or so before I really quit. So why did I drop out?

It started before I was born. My biological mother was a young, unwed college graduate student, and she decided to put me up for adoption. She felt very strongly that I should be adopted by college graduates, so everything was all set for me to be adopted at birth by a lawyer and his wife. Except that when I popped out they decided at the last minute that they really wanted a girl. So my parents, who were on a waiting list, got a call in the middle of the night asking: "We have an unexpected baby boy; do you want him?" They said: "Of course." My biological mother later found out that my mother had never graduated from college and that my father had never graduated from high school. She refused to sign the final adoption papers. She only relented a few months later when my parents promised that I would someday go to college.

And 17 years later I did go to college. But I naively chose a college that was almost as expensive as Stanford, and all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months, I couldn't see the value in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and no idea how college was going to help me figure it out. And here I was spending all of the money my parents had saved their entire life. So I decided to drop out and trust that it would all work out OK. It was pretty scary at the time, but looking back it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I dropped out I could stop taking the required classes that didn't interest me, and begin dropping in on the ones that looked interesting.

It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms, I returned coke bottles for the 5¢ deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the 7 miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple. I loved it. And much of what I stumbled into by following my curiosity and intuition turned out to be priceless later on. Let me give you one example:

Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster, every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed. Because I had dropped out and didn't have to take the normal classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying the amount of space between different letter combinations, about what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical, artistically subtle in a way that science can't capture, and I found it fascinating.

None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my life. But ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, its likely that no personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later.

Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something - your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.

My second story is about love and loss.

I was lucky Ð I found what I loved to do early in life. Woz and I started Apple in my parents garage when I was 20. We worked hard, and in 10 years Apple had grown from just the two of us in a garage into a $2 billion company with over 4000 employees. We had just released our finest creation - the Macintosh - a year earlier, and I had just turned 30. And then I got fired. How can you get fired from a company you started? Well, as Apple grew we hired someone who I thought was very talented to run the company with me, and for the first year or so things went well. But then our visions of the future began to diverge and eventually we had a falling out. When we did, our Board of Directors sided with him. So at 30 I was out. And very publicly out. What had been the focus of my entire adult life was gone, and it was devastating.

I really didn't know what to do for a few months. I felt that I had let the previous generation of entrepreneurs down - that I had dropped the baton as it was being passed to me. I met with David Packard and Bob Noyce and tried to apologize for screwing up so badly. I was a very public failure, and I even thought about running away from the valley. But something slowly began to dawn on me Ð I still loved what I did. The turn of events at Apple had not changed that one bit. I had been rejected, but I was still in love. And so I decided to start over.

I didn't see it then, but it turned out that getting fired from Apple was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

During the next five years, I started a company named NeXT, another company named Pixar, and fell in love with an amazing woman who would become my wife. Pixar went on to create the worlds first computer animated feature film, Toy Story, and is now the most successful animation studio in the world. In a remarkable turn of events, Apple bought NeXT, I retuned to Apple, and the technology we developed at NeXT is at the heart of Apple's current renaissance. And Laurene and I have a wonderful family together.

I'm pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn't been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don't lose faith. I'm convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You've got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle.
發表於 2008-5-23 02:23:20 | 顯示全部樓層
(the 3rd story)

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything Ð all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas. I didn't even know what a pancreas was. The doctors told me this was almost certainly a type of cancer that is incurable, and that I should expect to live no longer than three to six months. My doctor advised me to go home and get my affairs in order, which is doctor's code for prepare to die. It means to try to tell your kids everything you thought you'd have the next 10 years to tell them in just a few months. It means to make sure everything is buttoned up so that it will be as easy as possible for your family. It means to say your goodbyes.

I lived with that diagnosis all day. Later that evening I had a biopsy, where they stuck an endoscope down my throat, through my stomach and into my intestines, put a needle into my pancreas and got a few cells from the tumor. I was sedated, but my wife, who was there, told me that when they viewed the cells under a microscope the doctors started crying because it turned out to be a very rare form of pancreatic cancer that is curable with surgery. I had the surgery and I'm fine now.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope its the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

When I was young, there was an amazing publication called The Whole Earth Catalog, which was one of the bibles of my generation. It was created by a fellow named Stewart Brand not far from here in Menlo Park, and he brought it to life with his poetic touch. This was in the late 1960's, before personal computers and desktop publishing, so it was all made with typewriters, scissors, and polaroid cameras. It was sort of like Google in paperback form, 35 years before Google came along: it was idealistic, and overflowing with neat tools and great notions.

Stewart and his team put out several issues of The Whole Earth Catalog, and then when it had run its course, they put out a final issue. It was the mid-1970s, and I was your age. On the back cover of their final issue was a photograph of an early morning country road, the kind you might find yourself hitchhiking on if you were so adventurous. Beneath it were the words: "Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish." It was their farewell message as they signed off. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish. And I have always wished that for myself. And now, as you graduate to begin anew, I wish that for you.

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

Thank you all very much.

a short video (the last few minutes of his speech):

if you have iTunes, you can download the video of the complete speech:
發表於 2008-5-23 02:57:11 | 顯示全部樓層
beside "stay hungry; stay foolish", another saying from steve which is widely quoted, and is somehow related to astronomy, is:
"We're here to put a dent in the universe. Otherwise why else even be here?"
發表於 2008-5-24 11:35:30 | 顯示全部樓層
My Buddhism Master always remind his students ( i.e. me and my fellow classmates): there are two things that are for sure in this samsara for everyone, #1 death will happen to everyone, #2 one will not know when will that happen to oneself.

The remark by Jobs that treat everyday as if it will be your last day is consistent with that as well.  May everyday be a meaningful day .. and live well to everyone.

[ 本帖最後由 JimmyNg 於 2008-5-24 15:42 編輯 ]
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請討論區帳戶

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|香港天文學會

GMT+8, 2024-4-24 22:10 , Processed in 0.013116 second(s), 16 queries .