找回密碼
 申請討論區帳戶
查看: 21943|回復: 21

About HKSM

[複製鏈接]
發表於 2008-5-15 10:44:02 | 顯示全部樓層 |閱讀模式
Just a brainstorm after reading this webpage
http://www.noao.edu/outreach/aop/observers/bestof.html

Does HKSM in TST have a permanent scope with imaging setup so that a walk-in citizen (with no previous technical background) can take his/her first photo of a sky object ? TST may be too bright for DSO imaging but at least manageable for the Moon, planets or the Sun.

AC
發表於 2008-5-15 11:48:02 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear Alan,

This idea is good. I once try using a cell phone camera and took decent image of the Moon through a 12" scope.

Bill

[ 本帖最後由 BillYeung 於 2008-5-15 12:08 編輯 ]
發表於 2008-5-16 13:08:51 | 顯示全部樓層
Totally agree with you MCA.
Set up a permanent telescope in a convenient place in town is one of best way to promote asronomy. What "astronomy" means to most local amateurs is to shoot DSO and starfields and then show the images to others to admire. Actually in a heavily light polluted city like Hong Kong, study the moon, the planets and the sun is another way to understand the universe. The moon is the best gateway to learn more about our solar system. For so many years, I really don't know why not so many or no local amateurs to spare their time to observe the moon, the sun and the planets.
 樓主| 發表於 2008-5-16 15:00:46 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear Orion,

Local amateurs generally interpret astronomy = playing telescopes and cameras from which they produce colorful images, especially deepsky objects. This is fine as long as they are entertained by the process.

Both you and I certainly wish to go beyond “just taking beautiful pictures”. We understand the big rewards from observing and academic study of the MODERN MOON. We can share our  findings on the Moon with oversea lunar groups. So be happy with our own goals and do not interfere others who focus on DSO.

Admittedly, HK has no more dark sky, and the public are not trained observers. That is why, IMHO, the best way to let public interacting with the sky is a permanent scope in HKSM. Any walk-in visitors, with simple guide from HKSM, can take his/her first picture of the Moon, planets or the Sun with this permanent (or dedicated) scope.

AC
發表於 2008-5-16 15:13:27 | 顯示全部樓層
Agree... actually, as simple as a C8 on a permanent mount is more than enough, nowadays when most mobile phone can take picture, it would be great for the public to take a few shots of their own.

BTW, this idea is applicable to sidewalk, I mean to let people to take simple afocal shots.
發表於 2008-5-16 20:30:59 | 顯示全部樓層
Yes, totally agree with you oldfield.
Too big a telescope may do nothing in Hong Kong but show off. To popularize astonomy, a big telescope is not a key factor. I wonder the big telescope set up by HKSM using so much money may not worth its return just like Ho Koon.
發表於 2008-5-19 08:52:35 | 顯示全部樓層
I also feel that C8 is good enough for public viewing, and that the moon is a much too neglected part of observational astronomy. Last week, I shot the moon with C8 for a few continuous days beside a quite road, catching the attention of a family walking by (parents and their form 1 daughter) with no experience in astronomy. We spent almost 0.5h to 1h everyday catching various features on the moon, from big mare and major craters to small domes, craterlets and rilles. And I explained to them how they form, with the help of the many excellent photos from Charles Wood's The Modern Moon. Observation for about 0,5h also allowed them to see the change in features, like the sunrise in Copernicus.

I've also had many experience in watching planets and the moon with my students on the rooftop of my school in urban area. Frequently, I find that we spend at least one hour on the moon, compared with about 10-20 minutes on planets (usually just one is observable). Sometimes, students say that the planets are too small and can cause disappointment, even if I usually lower their expectation before observation. However, I have never heard such complaint in moon observation.

I guess a major difficulty in moon observation is that one must be knowledgeable in moon so that one knows what to look for in the field of view, which means reading some books. Many may not find the time to do so, not to mention that most books are in English. Also, there are not many public talks to promote a 'observing with understanding' approach to the moon.

Also, from my experience with students, not many of them are as mad or interested about photography as we think they are. The more complicated the set-up, the more remote astronomy is from them. They are more interested in visual observation, the great feeling of seeing challenging features, and understanding what they see (or knowing that no one understands some features that they see). Some even mentioned that they can observe geographic features learnt in Geography classes first hand, which they cannot do on Earth without travelling and viewing from perhaps helicopters.

[ 本帖最後由 astroQM 於 2008-5-19 08:59 編輯 ]
 樓主| 發表於 2008-5-19 13:09:25 | 顯示全部樓層
一點意見:

我們口口聲聲說推廣天文,實際上以甚麼遠見 (vision) 去經營 ?  
1.        以「勁鏡靚相」為本 ?
2.        以「欣賞星空」為本 ?
3.        以「了解宇宙」為本 ?
4.        還是「聯誼」為本 ?

細心看看這十年來的發展,大家心有數罷 ? 個人認為,若以中小學生為推廣對象,最適合是 2 和 3。 至于 1  和 4,還是讓學生畢業後再說,那時他們的經濟升級,可以按個人意慾發展,買甚麼器材也可以,不過,甚麼勁鏡,甚麼靚相,只能取悅一時,不久你的乜乜大鏡,乜乜大師寶座就要隨長江之浪消失了。如果指導學生以 2、3 的心態對待天文,終身受用,也較易變成他們“終身”追求的興趣。

至于為甚麼「月球」往往被大眾忽略呢,原因是「月球」固有的內在 "美" (也是最吸引我的地方)。它沒有像 DSO 那樣五顏六色的外在美,只有單色 (灰度),它要求一大堆要記住的拉丁名,它的「相位」要你預先做功課好才可找到期待的地徵 (小些耐性也不行) .....  這是都是香港學生不願做的,他們追求往往是要 一步到位,急功近地出一些值得  "示威” 的顏色相片,要先做功課,文字多過公仔, "米攪" !

AC
發表於 2008-5-19 13:31:59 | 顯示全部樓層
Dear AstroQM,

Thank you very much for your sharing. I find it very useful.

Bill
發表於 2008-5-19 13:51:55 | 顯示全部樓層
原帖由 mca 於 2008-5-19 13:09 發表

這是都是香港學生不願做的,他們追求往往是要 一步到位,急功近地出一些值得  "示威” 的顏色相片,要先做功課,文字多過公仔, "米攪" !

我認為這類學生並不是我們的推廣對象...

幸運是, 並不是所有學生都是這樣的
您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 申請討論區帳戶

本版積分規則

Archiver|手機版|小黑屋|香港天文學會

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 04:05 , Processed in 0.012237 second(s), 16 queries .